Date:      Thu, 30 Oct 1997 15:33:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom <tom@uniserve.com>
To:        Kingson Gunawan <kingson@excite.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Any luck with DPT SmartRaid 4 and SMP FreeBSD-current???

On Thu, 30 Oct 1997, Kingson Gunawan wrote:

> I am planning to configure a huge (20+GB)RAID volume, and just happen to
> have a DPT controller sitting around.  Have anyone done this
> successfully?  Is this a better config compared to using ccd?

  20GB is pretty small for drive arrays.  Compared to ccd?  Well, it can
RAID5 which ccd can't, but write performance suffers a bit in RAID5.

  If you have 6 or 10 drives, you might might to make two RAID5 arrays,
and then use ccd on them.

  But it all depends on what you want to do, and what RAID level you are
going to use.

> Kingson

Tom