Date:      Tue, 31 Oct 2000 09:13:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        "Marc G. Fournier" <scrappy@hub.org>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: iostat: tps for SCSI drives ...

On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> morning all ...
>
> 	what is considered to be a 'saturated drive', as far as tps is
> concerned?  I have a database server that I found one drive to be overused
> with another not used at all, so I started moving around databases to
> balance off the load a bit ... which helped alot.  But am wondering if
> there is an "acceptable tps level" for a drive before you should look at
> moving things around ?

  Well, if you assume that each transfer requires a seek, and you know the
average seek time of your drive, you'll be about to figure out the number
of transfers per second your drive can do (assuming each transfer requires
a seek).  If you are using SCSI drives with tagged command queues, you can
use camcontrol to see how many pending commands there are.

> Marc G. Fournier                               scrappy@hub.org
> Systems Administrator @ hub.org
> scrappy@{postgresql|isc}.org                       ICQ#7615664

Tom