Date:      Thu, 25 Jul 2002 19:25:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        paulbeard@mac.com (paul beard)
Cc:        jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu (Jerry McAllister), freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: restoring disklabel from an active disk?

> yup, I got the part about the incore label but too late: I wish
> there was some way to refresh it. It is "active" as far as df -k
> or the mechanism in the kernel that tracks filesystems knows.

Hmmm.  I just thought of something.  You say the disklabel starts
at 0.  Do you mean the offset?   That is the normal place to start.
That is 0 relative to the slice it is in, not the cylinder, track,
sector.

The only things you really need to pay much attention to in the part
of the disklabel output regarding the "partitions" are the partition
letter, the size, the offset and the fstype.  (There are a couple of
other things in the list before that that need to be correct, but
they normally are figured out correctly by the system so just keep
those values - you can add a label name if you like).

So, if it is just the offset that starts at 0 you might still be
in good shape.

////jerry