Date:      Thu, 25 Mar 1999 11:16:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        chad@dcfinc.com
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: make buildworld fails (fwd)

In article <199903211130.EAA04488@freebie.dcfinc.com>,
Chad R. Larson <chad@dcfinc.com> wrote:
> Looking in the code, it seemed that "objfiles.c" needed to include
> "nm.h" to get the definition of "kernel_debugging".  So I deleted it
> and re-cvsupped to see if the file had changed.  It hadn't.
>
> That left me believing there had to be some cruft in my source tree.
> I removed all of /usr/src/contrib, and then cvsup'd again.  Way too
> long later, I did another "make buildworld", which was successful.
>
> Anyone understand why/how the source tree could get broken in a way
> that cvsup didn't catch?

Yes.  You had some extra files, probably .o files, in your source
tree.  CVSup doesn't remove files it doesn't know about.  (How would
you like it to remove your kernel config file, for instance?)  In
CVSup-16.0, there's a nifty "cvsupchk" script to check for extra
files.  It was contributed by Joseph Koshy.

John
  "Self-interest is the aphrodisiac of belief."           -- James V. DeLong