Date:      Tue, 25 Sep 2012 19:59:51 -0400
From:      Brandon Allbery <allbery.b@gmail.com>
To:        Michael Schuh <michael.schuh@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: battery state - hw.acpi.battery.life goes only down

On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 7:43 PM, Michael Schuh <michael.schuh@gmail.com>wrote:

> this wrong number seems persistent during a reboot.
> i tested this, shortly.
> the battery life after reboot was 97% with power supply plugged in all the
> times.
>
> after a clean boot the system camed up with a battery.life of 97% ( power
> supply plugged in :O ).

Sounds like normal lithium ion charger behavior to me; typically they won't
kick in the charger until it reaches somewhere between 90-95% (depends on
the device).  This extends the useful life of the battery; raw lithium ion
is just as (actually, more) prone to destruction via overcharging as other
battery technologies.

http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteriesdiscusses
this.  Note in particular:  "A continuous trickle charge would
cause plating of metallic lithium, and this could compromise safety."

--
brandon s allbery                                      allbery.b@gmail.com