Date:      Sun, 9 Jun 2002 17:15:26 -0400
From:      Alexander Anderson <alex@upful.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   dhclient with new network card

I tried to replace one D-Link DFE-530TX (device vr) network card on my
router with a 3Com 3C509C-TXM (device xl) card. With this new network
card dhclient hangs up without any messages.

I had two D-Link cards: vr0 and vr1; vr0 connected to a cable modem,
vr1 connected to a LAN. After replacing vr0 with the new 3Com card, the
devices became like this:

vr0 -> xl0 (DHCP)
vr1 -> vr0 (static IP)

This is what I had to change in configuration files:

1) /etc/rc.conf:

-ifconfig_vr0="DHCP"
+ifconfig_xl0="DHCP"
-ifconfig_vr1="inet 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up"
+ifconfig_vr0="inet 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up"
-natd_interface="vr0"
+natd_interface="xl0"

2) /etc/dhclient.conf:

-interface "vr0" {
+interface "xl0" {

3) rm /var/db/dhclient.leases

On reboot, when dhclient is starting up, it just hangs. Lights on the
cable modem blink at first, but then stop. Strangely, lights on the LAN
hub (which is connected to vr0, which was vr1 before) blink once or
twice. Did I forget to update some other configuration files?

I am also wondering if the new network card has to be configured in any
special way?

I made sure that this new 3Com card worked. It worked in place of the
old D-Link card associated with vr1 device. So I'm thinking something is
wrong with dhclient configuration.

I will be very greateful for any suggestions. Thank you!