Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2001 16:58:22 +0200
From:      "Idar Tollefsen" <Idar.Tollefsen@baerum.kommune.no>
To:        <freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Problems makeing XFree86 4 for Alpha

Hello,

I have just installed 4.3 on my 164LX running a 533MHz 21164A.
During installation, it was unable to install X. It said it
couldn't find the packages (e.g. Xnst, Xf100, e.g.). I tried
different FTP servers with the same result.

I'm now trying to get X running from /usr/ports/x11/XFree86-4.

It comes pretty far. In fact, make completes without any problems.
make install however fails when it tries to make the files in
works/xc/programs/Xserver/hw/xfree86/os-support/bsd/drm/kernel

In subdirectories to this dir., there are symlinks to
/sys/{$ARCH}/include called "machine". On my Alpha, they have been
set to point to /sys/i386/include. I went in and manually fixed this
to be /sys/alpha/include.

That brings it somewhat further along, but then it fails when it
tries to compile lists.c, which is linked in from
../../../linux/drm/kernel. It complains about cast of pointer to
integer of different size, e.g. It says the problem is related to
drmP.h, which is one of the few files in the bsd/drm/kernel dir.
that isn't linked in from linux/drm/kernel (if not the only file).

All in all, it seems like the entire build process at this point
just forgot that I'm running on an Alpha and tries to complete
make install as if it where for an i386.

 Can I do something about that? Does anyone else have XFree86 4.x
up and running on an Alpha, and if so, how did you do it?

I tried looking for packages, and found some, but not the server
itself it seems... Or have I just overlooked something?

- IT