Date:      Sat, 20 Feb 2010 21:55:41 +0000
From:      Rui Paulo <rpaulo@freebsd.org>
To:        Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, Alexander Egorenkov <egorenar@googlemail.com>
Subject:   Re: net80211 and PPI header

On 20 Feb 2010, at 21:51, Sam Leffler wrote:

> Alexander Egorenkov wrote:
>>> What exactly do you need? We should be able to extend radiotap.
>>>=20
>> 1. Not only one RSSI but for every antenna (also in dBm)
>> 2. HT greenfield/HT mixed indicator
>> 4. Number of spatial streams (STBC)
>> 3. A-MPDU support (MPDU density, A-MPDU reassembly)
>> The most important one is A-MPDU support, i think.
>> Wireshark supports PPI header and can handle A-MPDUs very nicely.
>> That's it for now :-)
>=20
> I discussed integrating PPI w/ radiotap back when I did the existing =
11n support but never got anywhere (>3 years ago?).  The PPI stuff was =
done under contract to Intel and the folks involved never contacted =
anyone about doing it within radiotap instead.  It looked entirely =
possible to leverage the PPI decoder in wireshark to handle AMPDU =
reassembly from the radiotap decoder but I never got to it.
>=20
> As to the other state Greenfield was nonexistent (and unclear if it'd =
make it out of draft status) when I did stuff or I'd have reserved a bit =
for it.  The # of streams can be implied from the MCS unless I =
misunderstand.  I do want the per-antenna/chain state (rssi, nf, evm) =
but was looking for things to stabilize before adding to radiotap--each =
device/driver exports different data and I wanted something that was =
enough of a superset to handle the most devices.  Adopting PPI data =
structures would be reasonable.
>=20
> I would prefer to not emit PPI but instead augment radiotap.  We've =
standardized on radiotap for 802.11 and all the drivers now use it (or =
should use it).  I'll leave it to others to deal w/ the politics of the =
radiotap noobs; the technical details of doing this are straightforward.

FWIW, I have very basic support of PPI headers on my 11n branch.

--
Rui Paulo