Date:      Tue, 24 Sep 1996 12:48:21 +0100 (GMT+0100)
From:      af@biomath.jussieu.fr (Alain FAUCONNET)
To:        kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de (Christoph Kukulies)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: archie

Christoph Kukulies wrote / a ecrit:

> Anyone using archie? I never get any response from an archie request.
> I remember it worked with a 1.1.5.1 binary but since I'm running >=2.1
> archie always times out.

What server are you using ? (type 'archie -L')
It might be dead or overloaded.
In Europe, I have found archie.switch.ch and archie.doc.ic.ac.uk to be
reasonably responsive. The french one I was using before seems to
have died, though :-(
Set the ARCHIE_SERVER environment variable to one of the above servers
and see what happens.

> This may be by coincidence. Has the archie service died in general?
> I mean, now that everyone is searching via web?

My feeling is that the archie service is not what it used to  be.  The
databases are often badly outdated,  presumably  because  site  admins
don't care about maintaining the index files archie servers pick up.

It is dying ? I hope not. For most of the searches I have to do, it  is
much more practical than the WEB search engines, and I presume it uses
much less net resources.

_Alain_

--
Alain FAUCONNET    Ingenieur systeme - System Manager     AP-HP/SIM
Public Health                91 bld de l'Hopital 75013 PARIS FRANCE