Date:      Sat, 04 Mar 1995 10:35:12 -0800
From:      Dave Tweten <tweten@gilmore.nas.nasa.gov>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Subject:   Re: backspace now broken

Joerg Wunsch writes:
>... people mostly don't expect that key to generate any particular
>code (why should they bother with any numerical codes?), they simply
>expect it to delete something (instead of printing ^H when pressing
>it).

On the contrary, since the original IBM PC keyboard, I have never used one
that doesn't have both "<--" and either "Backspace" or "Back Space" printed on
it.

>SysV's tend to use erase=^H, yes, but don't forget: they also use
>intr=^? -- so do you wanna change this, too?  (But then again, that's
>the reason why they map the big grey key to ^H, since their users also
>use it to erase text.)

None of the above matters a bit to the issue of honest character code
generation.  Choose what you want.  That's what .cshrc or .prolog and stty are
for.  Continuing to generate a code different from the name on the key only
confuses people trying to set up stty and other code-function mappings.