Date:      Mon, 3 Aug 1998 05:49:10 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        jack@germanium.xtalwind.net (jack)
Cc:        software@kew.com, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IDE CD-R on stable (was Re: CD writers as a backup medium)

> > Ummm, semi-related question, are ONLY the SCSI CD-ROM burners supported?  I
> > happen to have ended up with my HP IDE CD-R burner on my FreeBSD box (with
> > room for Windows if I have to boot back to it to burn CD-R's.)
>
> Version 1.6 of cdrecord, in the ports, has support for mmc
> compliant IDE burners.  Though as CPU intensive as IDE is I would
> imagine you'd run into trouble on a system that had a fraction of
> the load that SCSI drives can tolerate.

given the question, in your reply you seem to state two things:

 1. the FreeBSD port of cdrecord works with mmc compliant IDE burners;
 2. you might have performance problems due to the IDE overhead.

now, i am 99.9% sure that 1. is false (because there README.ATAPI file
of cdrecord says it only works on linux, and we don't have standard
generic ATAPI commands...).

as for 2., for at least two years on FreeBSD I have been seeing
IDE streaming at 5MB/s  or more (given reasonable disks -- that
also applies to SCSI) and given the relatively low speed (2x --
300KB/s) of CD burners, i think the load problem you mention
might be not so relevant.

In any case, my point is, if you (like me) are not sure of what
you say or are not speaking from personal experience, try to make it
clear, or you will mislead people.

	cheers
	luigi