Date:      Tue, 30 May 2006 00:08:01 -0400
From:      Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@FreeBSD.org>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   -CURRENT does not recognize standard mount options

--=-gPJZMjtpm5SFoTE0RiLS

I'm trying to mount a USB stick with an MS-DOS file system on it, and
I'm specifying -o sync.  This mount works in RELENG_6, and the source
for mount_msdosfs.c makes me think it should work in -CURRENT.  However,
this is what I see:

# mount_msdosfs -o sync /dev/da1s1 /mnt
mount_msdosfs: /dev/da1s1: Invalid argument

And in dmesg:

mount option <sync> is unknown
Mount point /mnt had 1 dangling refs

So the kernel is rejecting this option.  I looked through the kernel
code, and it doesn't look like this option is in fact supported by
msdosfs.  However, I can't see why it works in -STABLE.  Give that
mount_msdosfs.c looks like it wants to support MNT_STDOPTS as well as
MNT_SYNC, I'd think that sync should work.  I haven't tracked down
exactly why this is happening yet, but I'd appreciate any pointers.

I'm running:

FreeBSD fugu.marcuscom.com 7.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 7.0-CURRENT #72: Sun May
7 00:51:14 EDT 2006
gnome@fugu.marcuscom.com:/space2/obj/usr/src/sys/FUGU  i386

But others have reported the same thing on more recent -CURRENT as well.

Joe

--=20
Joe Marcus Clarke
FreeBSD GNOME Team      ::      gnome@FreeBSD.org