Date:      Fri, 15 Mar 2002 09:06:11 +0200
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@ringlet.net>
To:        "N. J. Cash" <ncash@pei.eastlink.ca>
Cc:        FreeBSD Security <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: telnet / ipfw question

--+HP7ph2BbKc20aGI

On Thu, Mar 14, 2002 at 01:53:42PM -0400, N. J. Cash wrote:
> I have telnet enabled on my system running 4.5-stable and have it hidden
> behind very strick ipfw rules so that the only IP that has access to the =
box
> on port 23 is my home static IP, everything else is denied by the firewal=
l.
> I'm well aware of the risks of having telnet open and how insecure it can=
 be
> so, i'm just looking for some input here if this sounds like a safe way to
> have the daemon running on a system. Would there still be security risks
> involved
> that i'm not aware about running it this way?
>=20
> Here's basically what's going on in ipfw for port 23.
>=20
> ipfw add 1400 allow log tcp from x.x.myip.x.x to any 23
> ipfw add 09000 deny log ip from any to any
>=20
>=20
> Look safe ?

I do not know about safe, but you either have not tested this, or are not
showing us your complete ruleset.  This, by itself, would allow packets
from your IP address to any host's telnet port, but it will NOT allow
the responses; thus, you will not even be able to establish a connection,
let alone actually use telnet :)

If this host is the server that you want to use, a better (actually working)
firewall ruleset would contain something like..

ipfw add 1000 allow tcp from me to any setup

ipfw add 1400 allow tcp from x.x.myip.x.x to me 23 setup
ipfw add 9000 deny  tcp from any to me 23 setup

And.. others have already commented on the dangers of using telnet,
I will not restate their arguments, just say that I agree in them
that you should not really use telnet except in *very* exceptional
circumstances (a really local-area network, and even then maybe only
for access to routers, access servers, switches and such, that do not
yet support SSH; and even some of those do now).

G'luck,
Peter

--=20
Peter Pentchev	roam@ringlet.net	roam@FreeBSD.org