Date:      Sun, 15 Dec 1996 20:17:55 +1100 (EST)
From:      Iain Templeton <iaint@cu-seeme.educ.utas.edu.au>
To:        Victor Manuel Carranza Gonzalez <victor@usac.edu.gt>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: modem problem...

On Thu, 12 Dec 1996, Victor Manuel Carranza Gonzalez wrote:

> When I dial-in (from a PC with windows), everything looks fine, I can
> telnet and stay connected an hour if I want... but when I try to use
> anything that posses some more load to the connection, like an ftp, web
> browser, IMAP connection, etc.  the modem hangs up (I don't know which
> modem hangs). It doesn't just happen to me, but to every other users, so I
> think the problem may be in the server. The pppd log just reports a
> "hangup" signal received, and a normal program exiting.

I have had something similar, but with Netscape causing things to just
hang up, although I haven't had it happen to me as yet. I do have
problems with dialin shells though, they after displaying large amounts
of scrolling text (quickly that is), the line just freezes, and I have to
hang the modem up.

> I tried reducing modem speeds, as low as 9600, but it didn't help.
Even so, it could be that you are on a PABX. I believe that is the cause
of all my problems (especially since this applies to different modems and
server machines). I was told that another place couldn't get more than 2400.

> P.S. Anybody knows about a good document, stating the
> advantages/disadvantages of Windows NT vs Unix (specially as Internet
> servers)? I think unix is about to die in my country, due to the boom of
> NT and lazy people who want everything to be as easy as drag-and-drop,
> sacrifying (IMHO) power and flexibility :-(

A friend of mine told me that a FreeBSD machine running on a 486DX/33
with dodgy hardware outperformed a Pentium 1xx (133 I think), with plenty
of memory, when serving WWW pages.

Iain.

Iain Templeton: (iain@ugh.net.au)
	Computer Systems Engineering (Summer break, 1st/2nd year)
	Also some UNIX administration (but NOT at the Uni)
	University of Tasmania, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia.