Date:      Wed, 27 Jun 2012 14:51:54 +0300
From:      Alexander Motin <mav@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Boris Samorodov <bsam@passap.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-usb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [usb] Kingston 8Gb is not usable

On 06/27/12 12:55, Boris Samorodov wrote:
> 27.06.2012 12:45, Alexander Motin пишет:
>
>> Something is wrong there. I think this should not happen:
>> kernel: (da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): CAM status: SCSI Status Error
>> kernel: (da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): SCSI status: Check Condition
>> kernel: (da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): SCSI sense: No sense data present
>>
>> Two questions: 1) what originally caused these errors and 2) why "No
>> sense data present". I am not sure whether it is device problem or umass
>> or both. I can't reproduce it with devices I have. Could you also show
>> your old error messages (preferably verbose) to compare?
>
> There are messages from the old kernel/world (attached)
> after the command "camcontrol debug -IPp all".
> The device in not de-attached and is usable. BTW it's the
> fastest one I own.
>
> By verbose did you mean verbose boot? If yes, then I attach
> verbose-boot.txt with relevant messages.
>
> The kernel.old:
> -----
> % uname -a
> FreeBSD bsam.wart.ru 10.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 10.0-CURRENT #16 r237055: Thu
> Jun 14 17:16:43 SAMT 2012     bsam@bsam.wart.ru:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/BBX
>   i386
> -----

Oops, I haven't noticed in your original mail that it was working just
on June 14, when most radical changes were already done. The only change
after that I see potentially related is r237478. It adds more checks
when fetching SCSI sense data, that for some reason are not working in
your case. I still can not completely understand why there was no any
READ CAPACITY errors reported before, but may be I am missing something.
You can try to revert that revision for check.

Hans, don't you have any idea why this device may not report sense data
or may be residual sense data length (ccb->csio.sense_resid) is not set
properly? According to "got CAM status 0x8c", umass seems believe that
it got sense data, but CAM doesn't count them as valid.

--
Alexander Motin