Date:      Sun, 25 Jan 2015 09:36:48 -0800
From:      "Simon J. Gerraty" <sjg@juniper.net>
To:        Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org>
Cc:        arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [RFC] Set the default locale to en_US.UTF-8

Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@freebsd.org> wrote:
> Given that vt handles properly unicode inputs. I would like to propose that now
> we set the defaults locales on HEAD to en_US.UTF-8.

We've recently been inflicted with more Linux machines at work
and these have en_US.UTF-8 as default locale.

I run emacs -nw inside screen inside xterm (so I can easily re-attach
from anywhere).  I traced the fact that meta key didn't work to the
locale setting.  Forcing it to 'C' made everything work as it should.

In the past I've found (on some systems at least) that locale's other
than 'C' break shell scripts - because character classes no longer
match.  I assume this is due to different collating rules.

Thus my FAQ entry on how to survive with these machines mentions that
Setting ``LANG=C`` and ``LC_ALL=C`` fixes lots of problems.

So my vote would be "no" ;-)