Date:      Tue, 20 May 1997 21:05:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      asami@vader.cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au
Cc:        luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ddd-1.0.tar.gz in distfiles dir

 * > Well I started writing a simple perl script to record occurrences of
 * > DISTNAME, PKGNAME, EXTRACT_SUFX and DISTFILES, but probably the easiest
 * > way is to modify bsd.port.mk with a target similar to "do-fetch"
 * > which already does most of the work (actually, too much because it even
 * > fetches the file...).
 * >
 * > I am not going to write this but it should be a fairly simple cut&paste
 * > work for the ports mainainer.
 *
 * If you care at all about this, please spare a second for PIB; the
 * Ports Index Browser, which does much of this already.  It's not
 * possible to parse the Makefiles without using make(1) itself, and
 * that's _hideously_ slow; PIB uses a modification to the files/md5 format
 * that Satoshi put through months back, and may well be what you want.

Actually, judging from the little context I can see up there, I don't
think we even need PIB (which is a very, very nice interface tool in
its own right).

Assuming what we are talking about is cleaning up the master
distfiles/ dir on ftp.freebsd.org, all we need is a list of distfiles
from recent releases.  This can be easily done by checking out a ports
tree for that release (which is not possible in general using CVS, but
there's always the CD), and doing a "cat */*/files/md5 | sort -u". :)

In fact, I'm doing this now.

Satoshi