Date:      01 Nov 1997 16:47:28 +0100
From:      Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some SMP timing tests.

"Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com> writes:
> The most interesting thing about these numbers was that at "high job
> counts", where one would expect performance to start to actually
> degrade due to having too many compiles competing for various system
> resources, performance did not fall as expected.  This leads me to
> believe that our make actually artificially limits the parallelism
> number to somewhere below 20.  I haven't bothered to look into make's
> code more thoroughly in verifying this, but that's certainly what it
> looks like.

If you have a Makefile with 5 targets (e.g. 4 *.c files, 1 manpage),
make can only create 5 jobs at once. Not surprising ;-)
I guess the average Makefile has 3 targets.

     -j max_jobs
             Specify the maximum number of jobs that make may have running at
             any one time.

--
Wolfram Schneider   <wosch@apfel.de>   http://www.apfel.de/~wosch/