Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 2000 14:55:18 +0700
From:      Roger Merritt <mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ATAPI CD-ROM not being detected

I seem to have gotten down to the last problem on my upgrade to
4.1-STABLE.

I have a Philips cd-rom drive, about 1 year old.

In my kernel configuration file I have the lines:
# ATA and ATAPI devices
device          ata0    at isa? port IO_WD1 irq 14
device          ata1    at isa? port IO_WD2 irq 15
device          ata
device          atadisk                 # ATA disk drives
device          atapicd                 # ATAPI CDROM drives
#device         atapifd                 # ATAPI floppy drives
#device         atapist                 # ATAPI tape drives
options         ATA_STATIC_ID           #Static device numbering
#options        ATA_ENABLE_ATAPI_DMA    #Enable DMA on ATAPI devices

In the configuration file for 3.5-STABLE the necessary lines were:
# ATAPI devices
options         ATAPI           #Enable ATAPI support for IDE bus
options         ATAPI_STATIC    #Don't do it as an LKM
device          acd0            #IDE CD-ROM

My /etc/fstab had an entry which worked in 3.5-STABLE, which is:
/dev/acd0c              /cdrom          cd9660  ro,noauto       2       2

Nothing shows up in dmesg -- i.e., no cd-rom drive is being detected on
boot-up (or if it is I cannot decipher the message).

When I grep /dev for acd* I get:
acd0a
acd0c
acd1a
acd1c
racd0a
racd0c
racd1a
racd1c

But when I enter 'mount /cdrom' I get:
cd9660: Device not configured

I'm baffled. According to LINT I can't use the wdc driver, because it's
incompatible with the ata driver, and the wcd device shown in lint went
away in upgrading from 3.2-RELEASE to 3.5-STABLE. I don't think I
should even need the first two lines in the ata driver configuration.

Any suggestions?
--
Roger

It's bad luck to be superstitious