Date:      Sun, 26 Jan 2003 12:50:36 +0000
From:      "Matt" <matt@xtaz.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Upgrading perl 5.6.1 to perl 5.8 via ports

Hi,

I am currently running freebsd 5.0-current and so do not have the perl
installation as core. Perl 5.6.1 was installed as a dependency when I
installed irssi from ports and everything has been using this since. I
assume because this is the version mentioned in /etc/make.conf:

PERL_VER=5.6.1
PERL_VERSION=5.6.1
PERL_ARCH=mach
NOPERL=yo
NO_PERL=yo
NO_PERL_WRAPPER=yo

What I would like to do is remove the perl 5.6.1 port and install the perl
5.8 port instead but before I go off and try this and break lots of things I
would like to know what I need to do to change all my currently installed
ports that have been installed to depend on perl 5.6.1 and the modules
in /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/ so that they all work in 5.8.

Is it just a case of backing up site_perl and forcing a deinstall of the
5.6.1 port and installing the 5.8 port and copying all the site_perl stuff
back but under /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8 instead? Or am I going to
need to reinstall all the ports that depend on perl? Plus I guess changing
the /etc/make.conf to 5.8 (though I guess the port will do this). Also am I
right to assume that the ports use the config in make.conf to decide which
version of perl they depend on?

Any advice appriciated as I do not know a lot about perl.

Regards, Matt.

---
Matt (matt@xtaz.co.uk)
http://www.xtaz.co.uk/