Date:      Fri, 27 Jan 2012 22:02:09 -0500
From:      Jason Hellenthal <jhell@DataIX.net>
To:        Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-rc@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-rc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Multiple rc scripts with the same PROVIDEs?

On Fri, Jan 27, 2012 at 05:06:34PM -0800, Garrett Cooper wrote:
> Hi RC folks,
>     Quick question -- is there a reason why multiple scripts PROVIDE
> the same rc services? Is there a potential drawback to doing this (in
> particular if there are dependency loops in the scripts)?
> Thanks!
> -Garrett
>
> $ grep -r PROVIDE: /etc/rc.d/ | grep disks
> /etc/rc.d/gbde:# PROVIDE: disks
> /etc/rc.d/encswap:# PROVIDE: disks
> /etc/rc.d/geli:# PROVIDE: disks
> /etc/rc.d/ccd:# PROVIDE: disks

This is just a way to differentiate when in the starting and stopping of services that they will be called and provide a way for scripts to determine if all proper dependencies are being met whether it be virtually or physically.

This is similiar to ...
/etc/rc.d/othermta:# PROVIDE: mail
/etc/rc.d/sendmail:# PROVIDE: mail

And most of the time has more to do with rcorder(1)

I would think that it should also be providing ${name} of the script as well.

# PROVIDE: disks gbde

--
;s =;