Date:      Sat, 6 Jul 2002 11:45:58 -0700
From:      Doug Hardie <bc979@lafn.org>
To:        "Rob" <listone@deathbeforedecaf.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Backups to CD-R - problems with filesystems

At 0053 +0930 7/7/02, Rob wrote:
>I've had a few adventures in recent days trying to make CD-R backups. In
>case I've gone down a complete dead-end, here's the objective:
>
>* Copy selected directory trees from 3 FreeBSD systems onto CD as a
>   mountable filesystem (not a monolithic archive)
>
>The first challenge was to get the files onto 1 machine (with a CD burner).
>I tried piping tar through ssh
>
>   goo# ssh gir 'cd / ; tar -cf - boot etc home usr/local/etc' |
>        ( cd gir && tar -xpf - )
>
>but discovered that it misbehaves when the users in a tarfile don't exist
>on the destination machine. Instead of leaving the files with numeric
>owners, it chowns them to the user performing the extraction.

Having encountered the same problems, here is what I ended up doing.
Tar has the original V7 format available.  There is an option to
create in that format.  It does not use user names, but uses the
numeric uids and groups.  This will keep them constant for you.
However, it does not backup directories or their permissions.  Only
the files are written to the tar file.  When the extraction is done,
it will create any needed directories with the right names and
contents.  However the owner of the directories created will be that
of the user running tar.

What I am doing is creating the tar file on the remote machine using
rmt (e.g., tar -cv machine:directory/name ...).  That creates the tar
file on the remote server.  I archive tar files rather than the
originals.  I find it easier to restore from tar.   The command I use
to create the ISO image is:

mkisofs -R -J -V $DATE -o /backups/ISO/production.iso /backups/*.tar

I then ftp the iso image over to a Mac and burn a DVD.  The DVD then
mounts fine on FreeBSD and the tar files are directly accessible.  My
backups use about 95% of the DVD.  I have done some small backups to
CD and that also worked fine.
--
-- Doug