Date:      Thu, 25 May 2006 15:51:00 +0400
From:      Boris Samorodov <bsam@ipt.ru>
To:        "Eric W. Bates" <ericx@vineyard.net>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using imwheel with Freebsd 6.1 and xorg 6.9.0_2

On Wed, 24 May 2006 15:53:12 -0400 Eric W. Bates wrote:

> There are a couple of HowTos on-line which describe how to configure
> imwheel to work with X11 and FreeBSD. Those descriptions worked well for
> me for several years. Sadly, the situation seems to have evolved such
> that those HowTos are no longer valid.

> Apparently usbd is now deprecated.  I don't know the details; but I can
> attest that my usb mouse no longer needs the daemon.

> The primary change needed to make my mouse work was to remove the -z
> option from moused.  I can see no difference between the moused man page
> for 4.11 and 6.1. I have not looked at the source.

> So a working setup for 6.1-RELEASE and xorg-server-6.9.0_2:

> rc.conf:

> #usbd_enable="YES"	# Run the usbd daemon.

> moused_enable="YES"
> moused_type="auto"		# USB mouse only works with auto
> moused_port="/dev/ums0"		# USB mouse port
> #moused_flags="-z 4"		# We have a wheel mouse

> xorg.conf:

> Section "InputDevice"
>     Identifier	"Mouse0"
>     Driver	"mouse"
>     Option	"Protocol"	"Auto"
>     Option	"Device"	"/dev/sysmouse"
>     Option	"Buttons"	"5"
>     #Option	"ZAxisMapping"	"4 5"
> EndSection

> Sorry I don't have better info then a mere recipe; but I'm not overly
> rigorous with my workstation and we don't run X servers on our main
> machines. It is also the case that I updated 'everything' on the
> workstation at the same time.  This includes the OS, X, KDE, etc.; so
> precisely which update triggered the difficulty is lost. [sigh]

I myself have had the same problem when got uptated both OS and X. I
also for a long time have had "-z 5" option for moused. But I'd always
thought that it was a workaround, not a solution. Hence after upgrade
I noticed lines at Xorg.0.log:
-----
(**) Mouse0: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4, 5, 6 and 7
(**) Mouse0: Buttons: 11
-----

Note: I have a two button and a wheel MS USB-mouse.

That gave me a suspection of conflict between moused autodetect
mechanism and manual option. After deletting the latter I got a
functional mouse-and-wheel.

I think that enhancing both moused and rcNG scripts caused the matter.
And now I thonh that ir is a real solution but not a workaround which
had existed for years.

BTW, Eric, you wrote a good HOWTO.

> Thanks to Boris B. Samorodov (X11 port maintainer) for really solving this.

Actually, I'm not a maintainer of x11 port. ;-)
I'd had the same problem you faced with and tried to help you.

WBR
--
Boris B. Samorodov, Research Engineer
InPharmTech Co,     http://www.ipt.ru