Date:      Fri, 15 May 1998 02:00:54 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        eivind@yes.no (Eivind Eklund)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, brian@awfulhak.org, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: why /var/log/ppp.log

> > You will note that a NAT *MUST* have proxy facilities (FTP is
> > specifically mentioned on page 7).
>
> I disagree with "*MUST*" here.  A NAT that want to support protocols
> using separate connections back to the client from the server need
> special handling (which could be considered a proxy, but I'm slightly
> uncertain about whether this is correct, given that

Datagrams.  The "response" bit in the packet header.

> I've always considered NAT to be _any_ Network Address Translator -
> ie, a program that change IP-packets in transit to modify where they
> appear to come from or go to.  With that defintion it's fairly
> precise, I think.

It's an unnecessariky broad net which happens to capture what -alias
does (and a bunch of seaweed and a flounder or two).

Suffice it to say that it annoys me as much as someone claiming a "MUD"
is "Cyberspace", when it's not possible to actually torture someone to
death in a "MUD" and have them die in the real world from wounds inflicted.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.