Date:      Mon, 10 Mar 2003 19:09:04 +1100
From:      "Neeraj Arora" <Neeraj.Arora@ems.rmit.edu.au>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   freebsd nis server with debian clients

Hi Geeks, Girls and Guys,

...:^)

I am having a little problem setting up a debian client to derive login =
data from a freebsd nis server. There is no problem when the freebsd nis =
server interacts with freebsd clients, but there is a problem when it =
interacts with a debian gnu/linux client.

The authentication works when I force a password in the /etc/passwd file =
on the debian gnu/linux system. E.g.:
+login_whatever:$1$blahblahblah:::::/bin/bash
+::::::/bin/bash

But, it does not work when the password has to be sourced from the nis =
server (viz. a freebsd machine). I confirmed that both are communicating/op=
erating on nis v2. And moreover, the password on the freebsd server are =
stored in md5 too.

So, I dont seem to understand what the problem may be.

Any help will be great...:)

Regards,
Neeraj

N.B.: I am a freebsd devotee and thus posting this to the freebsd-questions=
 mailing list. I might try debian mailing lists too, but first here...:)