Date:      Sat, 1 Feb 2003 21:34:16 -0500
From:      Chris Pepper <pepper@reppep.com>
To:        phk@freebsd.org
Cc:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@freebsd.org>, current@freebsd.org, docs@freebsd.org, Robert Nordier <rnordier@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sbin/disklabel disklabel.8 disklabel.c

At 1:01 PM +0100 2003/01/26, phk@freebsd.org wrote:
>In message <20030126114000.GA58366@sunbay.com>, Ruslan Ermilov writes:

>Welcome to the club if people who was bitten by the poor design
>choices in the BSD disklabel.
>
>  >Now the
>>question.  Where is the code in the kernel that prevents swapping
>>and/or writing to a disklabel portion of a physically first
>  >partition on the disk?

	This reminds me of a related suggestion / request. boot0cfg
should be smarter, and require confirmation (unless forced) before
overwrite a disklabel with an MBR (boot0cfg -b /dev/ad0s2g or
similar). I believe overwriting a disklabel is much more likely to be
pilot error, as in my case, than an deliberate choice.

	boot0cfg.8 says:

>      On PCs, a boot manager typically occupies sector 0 of a disk, which is
>      known as the Master Boot Record (MBR).  The MBR contains both code (to
>      which control is passed by the PC BIOS) and data (an embedded table of
>      defined slices).

						Regards,

						Chris Pepper
--