Date:      Fri, 19 Jun 1998 06:42:32 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG, Danny Dulai <nirva@ishiboo.com>, Amancio Hasty Jr <hasty@netcom.com>
Cc:        yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, hasty@rah.star-gate.com
Subject:   Re: X-10 Mouse Remote patch

Sren Schmidt:
 |Yep it will endeed, this is the way to do it guys, the current hacks
 |to moused are, well, nicely put, GROSS!!
 |Guys you need to do a little design now and then, not all these
 |quick hacks, if not FreeBSD will end up being like the L word :)

Soren, you need to relax a little or just get in there and do it yourself.
Mike Smith and I did talk about the design for this beforehand.

Personally, I'm in favor of a disable-mouse option to moused over this
device-specific X10-daemon thing that we're talking about feeding moused.

moused currently deals with serial tty devices.  If we end up with:

                             filtered mouse events
  N device-specific devices ----------------------> moused

We've got moused knowing how to read a bunch of device-type-specific inputs
(pipes/sockets/ttys/etc.)  So have we really generalized moused?  Nope.

The only way this is going make sense is if you (for each of these
device-specific device daemons that can potentially feed moused) have what
they export look and behave "exactly" like a serial port.  Alternatively,
modify moused to support sockets or some other IPC and make this type of
IPC configurable with the input device type.  Not as good but still keeps
moused at least somewhat general.

Randall