Date:      Wed, 12 Mar 2003 09:26:52 -0500
From:      Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
To:        Gunnar Flygt <gunnar.flygt@sr.se>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Upgrading sequence to 4.x from 3.3-R

Gunnar Flygt wrote:
<snip>
>>I'm no expert on the source tree, but I would think that you might have an
>>easier
>>time of it if you backup up the system and reinstalled.
>>
>>If that seems terribly impractical, you might do better by stepping it.  For
>>example:
>>1) First upgrade to 3-STABLE.
>>2) Then upgrade to an early 4.x, such as 4.2-RELEASE
>>3) Then upgrade to 4-STABLE
>>
>>I do think you're going to have problems if you attempt the upgrade without
>>upgrading perl as well.  perl is used in many parts of the system in 4.x, if
>>you don't upgrade it, you may not even be able to build 4.x, and if it does
>>build and install, you may find many utilities don't work.
>
> Wouldn't it be easier to do a binary upgrade?

Perhaps it would, but I've never used the binary upgrade system, so I can't
recommend it.  Also, someone else was on the list complaining of failure in
the binary upgrade system just a few days ago.  See the archives, as I didn't
follow the thread closely and may have misunderstood.

Also, Dmitry, backup the system before you do _anything_!

And, Dmitry, your mail server is fussy ... it refuses my email because it's
not going through my ISPs relay.  How does it know?  I know for a fact that
my DNS/RDNS is set up correctly.  I don't use my ISPs relay because it's
not reliable.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies