Date:      Fri, 27 Aug 1999 15:52:43 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [secure@FREEBSD.LUBLIN.PL: FreeBSD (and other BSDs?) local root explot]

In message <37C6C42E.78E600F4@bigfoot.com> Ludwig Pummer writes:
: It was pointed out yesterday that 3 conditions need to be present for
: this to be exploitable, and 2.2.8 doesn't have at least one of the
: conditions (core dump won't follow symlinks in 2.2.8).

Others have pointed out to me that 2.x will, indeed, follow symlinks.
I don't have a system handy that I can test on (all my 2.x systems
have core dumps turned off completely because they are on ultra-tiny
disks).

Warner