Date:      Mon, 1 Mar 1999 09:28:51 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Christopher J. Booth" <cbooth@onepine.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Unbridled /var-us Growth

I have a brand-new install of FreeBSD 2.2.8 with two immediate problems.

I have a file in /var, /var/log/mgetty.cuaa1, that is growing at an
incredible rate. At one point it had /var at 105% of capacity. I did a
cat /dev/null > /var/log/mgetty.cuaa1
and /var was suddenly down to 6% again. But it will no doubt continue to
grow apace. How can I fix this?

cuaa1 is my mouse, cuaa2 is my modem.

* * *

My other problem is that I have not been able to connect to a new ISP via
ppp from 2.2.8. I Was able to do so, and am sending this from the same
hardware (different partition & hard drive, of course) through linux,
which is able to connect.

I am trying to do this by using the ppp utility in a stand-alone home P133
connecting via PAP to a dynamic ppp account. It dials out, interacts, but
then a ppp connection does not come up. Finally I hear my modem click off,
and I get a message that the "CHAT script has failed."

I have tried following the /etc/ppp/ppp.conf, /etc/ppp/ppp.linkup, etc.
instructions in the /etc/ppp/*.sample files, the Handbook, Greg Lehey's
book _The Complete FreeBSD_, February's edition of _FreeBSD 'Zine, the
_Pedantic PPP_, and recent postings to this list. None have worked.

Among the things that I have noticed is the strange fact that both 2.2.7
2.2.8 shipped with versions of PPP that didn't were not current with the
instructions in the /etc/ppp/ppp.* files. For example, the line in the
ppp.conf.sample file,

set log Phase Chat Connect Carrier LCP IPCP CCP tun command

is unintelligible to ppp and the modem won't even dial out unless this
line is commented out.

I have 2.2.8. Ppp is not working to dial out to a dynamic PAP ppp account
on a stand-alone machine. The ISP is using BSDI, so we should be
compatible. Has anyone had any luck with 2.2.8 out of the box making a
similar connection; if so, could you direct me to where I can find a
dial-up script that will work, or information on finding out what is going
awry?

(I have not provided my script,as I am not in FreeBSD to write this, and
keying in a standard script seems a waste of bandwidth, and typing-time; I
am currently trying the /etc/ppp/ppp.*.sample file examples.)

Thank you, all.

Chris