Date:      Sun, 24 Feb 2002 20:24:20 -0500
From:      "Scott Spencer" <sgspencer50@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Got a USR5686D modem?

If you have this modem, US Robotics 56K Fax modem, Product # USR5686D, I
need some help. It is an external modem and I have connected it to my second
serial port. I am able to connect to the modem using term /dev/cuaa1 and
also the tip command, but once I am connected I can't enter anything in. No
characters show up on the screen when I type them into the keyboard. Its not
a problem with the modem, since I tested it on my windows XP machine and it
worked fine. Also the port works since I can connect.

I think there is a problem with one of the three following files
/etc/remote, /etc/modems or /etc/ppp/ppp.conf.

If you have this modem could you dump a copy of each of these files into a
text file and send it to me so I can compare.

I added an entry for this modem in /etc/modems using the init_string =
AT\r. It should work. There is a second init_string for this modem, but that
is the one that worked on the XP machine, plus I've tried them both and
neither works correctly.

When I use the command tip -57600 ####### it tells me that tip can't
synchronize with the modem.

Scott Spencer