Date:      Tue, 20 Nov 2001 08:23:26 -0800
From:      "Freddie Cash" <fcash@bigfoot.com>
To:        leegold <leegold@operamail.com>
Cc:        newbies@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports vs. packages

On 19 Nov 2001 at 22:23, leegold wrote:
> Trying to get a handle on difference between ports
> and packages re: FreeBsd.

> "To Port" the verb, means to make an application,
> a program "runnable" on a particular OS.

Yes.  It usually involves recompiling and/or patching the program to
run natively (or via a native compatibility layer) on the new OS.

> "A Port" the noun, is usually source code, config
> scripts, other stuff, that a user runs the "make"
> command on to compile & install a new program.

Yes.

> A Package is a (compiled) binary, along with
> "other stuff" that installs a new program.

A package is a pre-compiled port.  Installing a package is *exactly*
the same as installing the port of the same name, only you don't have
to wait for it to compile.

> FreeBsd has a ports collection which we can install
> on our system it serves as kind of a database to
> tell us what ports and pakages ie. what programs
> we have installed.

No.  The ports tree is a source code skeleton that lets you see just
what programs are *available* for FreeBSD.  You can search the tree,
install programs, update programs, remove programs, etc.  It's merely
a simple way to see what's available and to compile it specifically
for your system.

The database of what's installed on your system is stored in
/var/db/pkg (or something close to that ... I'm on a WinNT box right
now).

> Is this close to reality?

Pretty close.

> PS given a choice between
> installing a program via a port vs. a package
>  what should one do?

If you have a fast machine (anything over a Pentium Pro), I'd compile
a port.  That way, it's compiled and optimised for your CPU.
Packages are all compiled for the generic 386 instructions.

If you have a slow machine, or a slow Internet connection, or you
want to install a certain application on multiple boxes, then I'd use
a package.

Cheers,
Freddie			PhoenixTek Consulting
fcash@bigfoot.com	Unix / Networking Services