Date:      Sat, 2 Dec 2000 23:46:18 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        Joe Oliveiro <joe@advancewebhosting.com>
Cc:        Lanny Baron <lnb@satan.freebsdsystems.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KDE2 (was Staroffice Networking Non-functional)

On Sat, 2 Dec 2000, Joe Oliveiro wrote:

> Hopefully since Sun donated SO to the gnome project some things on it will
> change. I've never used kde but i wouldnt install it just for koffice,
> especially since it doesnt write M$ docs.
>
> I've heard some good things about KDE2, i wonder if thats any better?

I'm running it here. It's really nice. It *does* have some bugs, but
hopefully they will soon go away.

I'm very impressed by the Browser, Konqueror . It seems to outperform
Netscape. I was expecting another half-implemented browswer and was
very surprised to find that it is fully functional, and also
includes file management on the local machine with drag and drop and
all that good stuff. It's better than the Soffice 5.1 browser.
Unlike Netscape, it's probably the most stable application that
came with KDE2.

KDE2 is bigger and slower than KDE1. They have modified the
the desktop somewhat. The biggest problem I notice is that konsole,
the terminal window, will ofte crash on exit. Since it's on exit,
it's not a big deal, except that the Crash Monitor pops up a window
and tells you about it. However, this only happens occasionally.

I haven't tried kmail. I use IMAP mail and they haven't implemented
it as yet.

Overall, I think it's really terrific and they should be
applauded for a fine project.

I noticed that there is a bug fix version 2.0.1 out now, so maybe
I'll try building that.

-Jim