Date:      Sat, 16 Aug 1997 17:01:20 -0700
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        mrcpu@cdsnet.net
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Maybe a CVSUP of ports problem...

> Got the following after cvsup'ing today, and trying to install
> quakeserver:
>
> ===>  Installing for lha-1.14c
> Installing in src...
> install -c -s -o bin -g bin -m 555 lha /usr/local/bin/lha
> Installing in man...
> install -m 444 -o bin -g bin -c lha.n /usr/local/man/ja_JP.EUC/man1/lha.1
> ===>   Compressing manual pages for lha-1.14c
> ===>  Registering installation for lha-1.14c
> ===>  Returning to build of quakeserver-1.0
> ===>  Patching for quakeserver-1.0
> ===>   Ignoring empty patch directory
> ===>   Perhaps you forgot the -P flag to cvs co or update?

I can't duplicate the problem.  I did a fresh checkout-mode fetch of
ports/games/quakeserver, and it correctly didn't give me the empty
patches directory.

In checkout mode, CVSup only checks for empty directories when it
removes files.  I.e., if it removes a file, it checks at that point
to see whether the containing directory has now become empty.  So if
your patches directory got created by some other means, or if it
became empty by some other means, then CVSup wouldn't do anything
about it.  That's the only explanation I can think of for what
happened.

John