Date:      Sun, 3 Oct 2004 21:50:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Dru <dlavigne6@sympatico.ca>
To:        ignavusincognitus@gmail.com
Cc:        daniel@pelleg.org
Subject:   Re: install hangs on IBM Thinkpad X23

On Sun, 3 Oct 2004 ignavusincognitus@gmail.com wrote:

> http://s89813419.onlinehome.us/thinkpad-floppy.iso
>
> It's not bootable - I don't think that can be done in 1.44MB. You
> will need a separate bootable DOS disk. I used MS-DOS 6.22. Maybe FreeDOS
> will work.
>
> There is also an .img version should you need a floppy image.
>
> PS2.EXE is very slow to run. But it does seem to do the job. Extract PS2.MSG
> and view it on another machine to speed things up.

Update: installed Firefox on the 2000 system and got the download
immediately. Extracted the utility directory to a floppy. Found an old DOS
boot disk to boot the Thinkpad into DOS. Ran the uinstall utility as
mentioned in the txt and rec'd an error saying if the error repeats to
contact IBM. The error repeated. Ran the PS2 utility which took forever,
then told me to run "ps2 ?" which took forever and did nothing. Nothing
has been added to my BIOS, but at least the utility didn't nuke it.

If I have time tomorrow after work I'll try making a PXE server and see if
I have any better luck with that. If I don't, I'm going shopping for a
CDROM cable. Hopefully I won't still be stuck with a BIOS issue...

Out of curiosity, Dan, can you send me your BIOS revision from a working
laptop? I'm pretty sure I have the original one--it's dated from 2002.

Dru