Date:      Wed, 11 Mar 2015 18:43:03 -0400
From:      The Lost Admin <thelostadmin@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 9.3 is not recognizing USB 2.0 peripherals (or maybe USB2 bus)

Hi all,

I=92ve got a Zotac Zbox SD-ID12 (Intel Atop D525). According to the =
vendor specs it=92s got 6 USB 2.0 ports. It=92s spend the last few years =
sitting on a shelf running FreeBSD and getting periodic updates/upgrades =
and little else.

Currently at FreeBSD 9.3-RELEASE-p10.

Recently I decided to make use of some old USB2 hard drives I had lying =
around and turn the box into a basic NAS for my home network (nothing =
fancy just NFS). I got the NFS working without a hitch.

I attached the first of the USB 2.0 drives and it seamed really slow. =
Looking at /var/messages it indicates it=92s running at USB 1 speeds:

da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 scbus4 target 0 lun 0
da0: <WD My Passport 071A 2011> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-4 device=20
da0: Serial Number 575851314136305639323030
da0: 1.000MB/s transfers
da0: 953842MB (1953468416 512 byte sectors: 255H 63S/T 121597C)
da0: quirks=3D0x2<NO_6_BYTE>

Further digging into dmesg suggests to me that FreeBSD is somehow either =
not finding or not using USB2 drivers.

For the sake of keeping this message short, the full verbose dmesg can =
be found here -> http://pastebin.com/sUxvCd0m ; it will expire in one =
month (April 11, 2015).

NOTES:
I have tried a variety of USB2 devices (CD R/W, usb hard drive, thumb =
drives). I have confirmed that all are detected and accessed as USB 2.0 =
devices on Windows 7, Mac OSX. I have also confirmed that Linux =
(Raspbian on a raspberry Pi) recognized and used the hard drive as a =
USB2.0 device.

I tried a few different cables just in case.

Also, I have been using FreeBSD since the 1990s and used to be pretty =
active at helping people on this list (a long time ago).

The Lost Admin
thelostadmin@gmail.com