Date:      Fri, 08 Sep 1995 17:29:53 -0700
From:      David Greenman <davidg@Root.COM>
To:        jleppek@suw2k.ess.harris.com (James Leppek)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: current libraries and stability

>I have been trying to keep up with the cvs bits but there has been
>a drastic drop in stability in both stable and current lately, what
>happened??
>
>My 2.2 current kernel has problems with both shared libs and kernel page faults.
>the 2.1 stable machines (1 notebook and 1 workstation, both pentiums) also seem
>to suffer from the sig 11 problem and instabilities. This seems to have
>occurred within the last couple of weeks. Is it a good idea to try a few
>more make worlds ??
>
>Has anyone else seen this trend?
>
>my last make world was aug. 24th, the kernel was built today.

   I think your problem with -stable is library related. There were some
internal changes to the libraries. In cases where appropriate, the library
revision number was bumped, but this doesn't mean that your binaries can't
be out of sync. Please update your sources with "current" -stable and rebuild
everything including your kernel.
   I've been doing substantial testing with -stable (I've lost count of all of
the make world's I've done), and haven't seen _any_ problems here. I've also
been very carefuly about the changes I've brought in during the past weeks. I
really don't think there is any real problem, but if there is, I want to know
about it immediately. Thanks.

-DG