Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2012 12:50:11 GMT
From:      Jan Mikkelsen <janm@transactionware.com>
To:        freebsd-python@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/163467: Ports using python 2.7 and &quot; waf&quot; intermittently hang on build/installation

The following reply was made to PR ports/163467; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Jan Mikkelsen <janm@transactionware.com>
To: Mel Flynn <rflynn@acsalaska.net>
Cc: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 23:36:28 +1100

 Hi Mel,

 Sorry about taking so long to get back to you.

 I have python installed without WITH_SEM already. The build process is =
 logged and I have the complete system checked into our local Perforce =
 server. These are the arguments to exec on the last build:

 Executing, with stdin from /dev/null:
 arg[0] =3D '/usr/sbin/chroot'
 arg[1] =3D '/home/janm/p4/freebsd-image-std-2011.1/work/build-chroot'
 arg[2] =3D '/usr/bin/env'
 arg[3] =3D '-'
 arg[4] =3D =
 'PATH=3D/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/=
 X11R6/bin'
 arg[5] =3D '/bin/sh'
 arg[6] =3D '-cxe'
 arg[7] =3D '		cd /usr/ports/lang/python27

 		 env NO_MTREE=3D"true" make package =
 WRKDIRPREFIX=3D/ports-work =
 PKGFILE=3D'/ports-packages/python27-2.7.2_3.tbz' BATCH=3Dyes =
 NODEPENDS=3Dyes PACKAGE_BUILDING=3Dyes=20
 '

 I also had the output to stdout and stderr from that build and noticed =
 that the configure output was still showing that Posix semaphores were =
 in use. Looking at the makefile, I see this:

 post-patch:
 .if defined(WITH_SEM)
 .if ${OSVERSION} >=3D 701106
         @cd ${WRKSRC} && ${PATCH} ${PATCH_ARGS} < =
 ${PATCHDIR}/extra-patch-setup.py
 .endif
 .endif

 That patch only disables HAVE_SEM_OPEN and HAVE_SEM_TIMEDWAIT when =
 WITH_SEM is not set on FreeBSD 6 and earlier. In the build log I see =
 (without WITH_SEM set):

 checking for sem_open... yes
 checking for sem_timedwait... yes

 The interesting test would be to explicitly disable HAVE_SEM_OPEN and =
 HAVE_SEM_TIMEDWAIT in the python build. I'll set up a test and see if we =
 have any builds hang.

 Have you discovered anything new since your email?

 Thanks,

 Jan Mikkelsen