Date:      Sun, 3 Dec 2000 00:01:26 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jim Durham <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        Jamie Heckford <heckfordj@psi-domain.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DHCP Tricky config

On Sat, 2 Dec 2000, Jamie Heckford wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Heres what I want to do, any ideas people?:
>
> This is a medium sized LAN.
>
> When people log onto the network (Windows workstations powered by fBSD servers)
> I want them to be assigned a tempoary IP address via DHCP. When they
> authenticate with there user/pass, I want them to be assigned a dedicated /
> static IP based on their username, so where-ever they go in the office
> (different desks etc.) they always have that IP.
>
> Reason being it is easier to implement User level Filtering options.

Hmmm... you didn't say if you were using Samba? If so, you have
the individual user scripts. These are run after the DHCP address
is assigned. I believe there are a couple different little
applications kicking around tucows or similar places that will
change IP on the fly for WIn boxes. However, you have the
notty little problem of losing the original connection when
the IP changes.

Why not modify your filters with the DHCP IP instead?

-Jim Durham