Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 2000 14:44:18 -0700 (PDT)
From:      net admin <admin@pacex.net>
To:        FreeBSD-security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   VPN and Firewall security implementation

Hi Folks;
I am posting this question with the full understanding of the the posting
gudelines for this list and according to the list charters I think my
question qualifies as a security thechnical issue. If I am wrong I
appologize.
We have FreeBSD-3.3-STABLE mail/HTTP/DNS/RADIUS servers on a lan behind a
Cisco IOS firewall/router setup, with some servers running ipfw
for added security.
Some of our corporate dialup clients are using various VPN implementation
to dial to corporate networks through our network (some use MS VPN stuff
and some use proprietory remote access S/W).
The problem we're having is that configuring our firewalls for
mail/DNS/HTTP/RADIUS allows user full access to those services but not
remote access to corporate LANs and we don't know what services to allow
to accomodate the corp. customer because of the varied implementation of
VPN stuff out there. We are now considering redesigning our fire wall to
deny specific services (known security holes) and allow the rest, I know
it is bad design policy but revenue is at stake here. What will be a
sensible security consious solution to this kind of problem.

Thanks and sorry if am being trival.

Dan