Date:      Mon, 30 Jan 2012 15:01:25 +0100
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-performance@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ULE vs. 4BSD scheduler benchmarks

On 28/01/2012 23:40, Florian Smeets wrote:

> The conclusion right now seems to be that ULE is faster for database
> workload,

I've done the same benchmarks with Bullet Cache last year and 4BSD is
*ridiculously* inefficient and slow for this specific workload which
involves a lot of inter-thread and inter-process communications. The
results were somewhere in the ratio of 1:10 in favor of ULE.

>but for strongly CPU-bound workloads 4BSD can be a better
> choice. I can provide KTR traces and/or schedgraph output for cases
> where 4BSD is better than ULE.

Can you try manually bind processes to CPUs with the CPU-heavy
benchmark? This could be a bit hard if you use the regular pbzip2
because it spawns threads, but if you manually spawn 8 CPU-bound
processes (with cpuset(1)) in parallel and measure that, it would be useful.