Date:      Tue, 24 Aug 1999 11:05:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill <ankzt@maine.60north.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   cvsup'd to 3.2 from 3.1 arp changes? SMB changes!

 after upgrading from 3.1 stable to 3.2 stable via cvs I noticed that the
output from arp -a has changed... looks like for the better as now I dont
have to permenat publish my gateway of last resort ( wich would always
drop or expire after extend periods of no use ). A bad side affect wich I
cant be sure what in this update is responcible for is, workstations on
remote networks fail to authenticate ( log on to NT domain ) via samba.
The version of samba im using is 2.0.3. My networks look like this...

 Inet pipe 198.143.201/24 -> FBSD multihomed two net cards ipforwarding.
FBSD Interfaces are ed1 @ 192.168.1.10 ed2 @ 198.143.201.10. This box
is connected to 2 other networks 192.168.2/24 & 192.168.3/24 via bay
routers. All workstations on 192.168.1/24 that are configured to require
validation from network happily do so, however since the 3.1 to 3.2
upgrade the workstations on the remote networks wont validate with samba.
Remote network connectivity is verified, routers are configured for
spanning tree bridging & netbios over tcp.

 Whats particularly interesting about this is that when i reconfig the MS
workstations not to authenticate & login to NT domain, they can see &
access the FBSD box running samba using USER level security as well as
access their home directories with the correct priveledges. Im stumped.

Heres a dump of the relevant globals from testparm:

su-2.02# ./testparm | more
Load smb config files from /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
Processing section "[root]"
Processing section "[ports]"
Processing section "[homes]"
Processing section "[netlogon]"
Processing section "[printers]"
Processing section "[tmp]"
Loaded services file OK.
Load smb config files from /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf
# Global parameters
	workgroup = MIS
	netbios name = MAINE
	netbios aliases =
	server string = INTERNET SERVER FIREWALL
	interfaces = 192.168.1.10 198.143.201.10
	bind interfaces only = No
	security = USER
	encrypt passwords = No
	update encrypted = No
	use rhosts = No
	min passwd length = 5
	map to guest = Never
	null passwords = No
	password server =
	smb passwd file = /usr/local/samba/private/smbpasswd
	hosts equiv =
	root directory = /
	passwd program = /bin/passwd
	passwd chat = *old*password* %o\n *new*password* %n\n *new*password* %n\n *changed*
	passwd chat debug = No
	username map =
	password level = 0
	username level = 0
	unix password sync = Yes
	log level = 2
	syslog = 1
	syslog only = No
	log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m
	max log size = 50
	timestamp logs = Yes
	protocol = NT1
	read bmpx = Yes
	read raw = Yes
	write raw = Yes
	nt smb support = Yes
	nt pipe support = Yes
	nt acl support = No
	announce version = 4.2
	announce as = NT
	max mux = 50
	max xmit = 65535
	name resolve order = lmhosts host wins bcast
	max packet = 65535
	max ttl = 259200
	max wins ttl = 518400
	min wins ttl = 21600
	time server = No
	change notify timeout = 60
	deadtime = 0
	getwd cache = Yes
	keepalive = 300
	lpq cache time = 10
	max disk size = 0
	max open files = 10000
	read prediction = No
	read size = 16384
	shared mem size = 1048576
	socket options = TCP_NODELAY
	stat cache size = 50
	load printers = Yes
	printcap name = /etc/printcap
	printer driver file = /usr/local/samba/lib/printers.def
	strip dot = No
	character set =
	mangled stack = 50
	coding system =
	client code page = 850
	stat cache = Yes
	domain groups =
	domain admin group =
	domain guest group =
	domain admin users =
	domain guest users =
	machine password timeout = 604800
	add user script =
	delete user script =
	logon script =
	logon path = \\%N\%U\profile
	logon drive =
	logon home = \\%N\%U
	domain logons = Yes
	os level = 0
	lm announce = Auto
	lm interval = 60
	preferred master = No
	local master = No
	domain master = No
	browse list = Yes
	dns proxy = No
	wins proxy = Yes
	wins server = 192.168.1.15
	wins support = No
	kernel oplocks = Yes
	ole locking compatibility = Yes
	smbrun = /usr/local/samba/bin/smbrun
	config file =
	preload =
	lock dir = /usr/local/samba/var/locks
	default service =
	message command =
	dfree command =
	valid chars =
	remote announce =
	remote browse sync =
	socket address = 0.0.0.0
	homedir map =
	time offset = 0
	unix realname = No
	NIS homedir = No
	panic action =
	comment =
	path =
	alternate permissions = No
	revalidate = No
	username =
	guest account = pcguest
	invalid users =
	valid users =
	admin users =
	read list =
	write list =
	force user =
	force group =
	read only = Yes
	create mask = 0744
	force create mode = 00
	directory mask = 0755
	force directory mode = 00
	guest only = No
	guest ok = No
	only user = No
	hosts allow = 192.168.1. 192.168.2.  192.168.3. 127.
	hosts deny =
	status = Yes
	max connections = 0
	min print space = 0
	strict sync = No
	sync always = No
	print ok = No
	postscript = No
	printing = bsd
	print command = lpr -r -P%p %s
	lpq command = lpq -P%p
	lprm command = lprm -P%p %j
	lppause command =
	lpresume command =
	queuepause command =
	queueresume command =
	printer name =
	printer driver = NULL
	printer driver location =
	default case = lower
	case sensitive = No
	preserve case = Yes
	short preserve case = Yes
	mangle case = No
	mangling char = ~
	hide dot files = Yes
	delete veto files = No
	veto files =
	hide files =
	veto oplock files =
	map system = No
	map hidden = No
	map archive = Yes
	mangled names = Yes
	mangled map =
	browseable = Yes
	blocking locks = Yes
	fake oplocks = No
	locking = Yes
	oplocks = Yes
	strict locking = No
	share modes = Yes
	copy =
	include =
	exec =
	postexec =
	root preexec =
	root postexec =
	available = Yes
	volume =
	fstype = NTFS
	set directory = No
	wide links = Yes
	follow symlinks = Yes
	dont descend =
	magic script =
	magic output =
	delete readonly = No
	dos filetimes = No
	dos filetime resolution = No
	fake directory create times = No

ps sorry if ive encluded a bit to much information.