Date:      22 Jun 1999 23:48:25 +1000
From:      "John Saunders" <john.saunders@nlc.net.au>
To:        mwlucas@exceptionet.com
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: StarOffice 5.1

In nlc.lists.freebsd-emulation you wrote:
> Searched the archives, no answers there, so here I am.

> Has anyone succeeded in running StarOffice 5.1?  I'd like to know it's
> possible before I spend three hours downloading the beast.  ;)

Actually I installed it yesterday with some help in a file I had saved
away. It seems pretty good, although it's not Word-like enough to
avoid any learning curve. It's been stable enough so far.

First you need to have the linux libraries installed and linux support in
the kernel enabled. Doing that is simply some package installed and
some rc.conf tweaks.

Next unpack the tar ball (it goes into so501).

Then mkdir ~/Office50 and ~/Office50/lib

Unpack so501/glibc2_inst/glibc2.tar.gz move the files into ~/Office50/lib
and copy ~/Office50/lib/ld-linux.so.2 to /compat/linux/lib to update it.
I'm not sure how necessary this is, but it works.

To work around the installer bug do this.

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/tmp/sv001.tmp:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Then cd office50_inst and ./setup and off you go.

Enjoy.
        .     | John Saunders  - mailto:john@nlc.net.au            (EMail) |
    ,--_|\    |                - http://www.nlc.net.au/              (WWW) |
   /  Oz  \   |                - 02-9489-4932 or 04-1822-3814      (Phone) |
   \_,--\_/   | NORTHLINK COMMUNICATIONS P/L - Supplying a professional,   |
         v    | and above all friendly, internet connection service.       |