Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 19:41:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Tom ONeil <tom.oneil@tacni.com>
Cc:        Free <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 2U server choice - experience/suggestions?

On Tue, 23 Jan 2001, Tom ONeil wrote:

> Tired of rolling our own. Looking for a 2U for general purpose
> web/radius/2nd DNS/email.
>
>    Comments? Suggestions?
>
> http://www.rackmount.com/RackSvr/ColocationServer215-test3.htm

  If you don't mind a 3U format, try the IBM eServer x340.  I don't think
you will find anything that can beat it:  redundant power supplies, up to
two CPUs, 133mhz FSB, 64bit PCI, three hotswap SCSI bays and three more
can be added, and redundant and hotswap fans.  The fans are particularly
nice.  The x340 doesn't use CPU fans, but an air-flow tunnel over the
CPUs, which a full-size hostswap fan at each end (push, pull arragement).
If one of these fans fails, the other speeds up, with no software
intervention required.

  Of course, IBM ServeRAID cards aren't supported by FreeBSD, so I use a
Mylex AccelRAID 352 in it.  IBM owns Myles now, so IBM has no problem with
this.  The hotswap bays support SAF-TE, so rebuilding of failed drives is
automatic too.

Tom