Date:      Sun, 17 Jun 2001 11:53:19 -0400
From:      Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net>
To:        Cyrille Lefevre <clefevre@redirect.to>
Cc:        tlambert2@mindspring.com, Robert Withrow <bwithrow@nortelnetworks.com>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: import NetBSD rc system

Cyrille Lefevre wrote:

> Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net> writes:
> [snip]
> > How about keeping the state of the system as empty files in
> > a subdirectory, say, /etc/rcstate.d. This directory would be
> > cleaned up at boot time and then as each of the service startup
> > script is run (and completed successfully), an empty file with the
> > same name would be created in this directory. Reversely, when a
> > service shutdown script is completed (or started ?), the state
> > file is removed. This will allow to define the run states easily
> > as empty rc scripts containing only dependency information in them.
>
> how about if a service die or started w/o the rc subsystem ?

Remove or create this indicator file manually ? I mean, as an easy
solution. The complex solution is of course to monitor the status
of the service and react accordingly if it fails. After (if) such
thing would be implemented, adding of the rest of the high-availability
cluster support will be obvious :-)

-SB