Date:      Tue, 1 Oct 2002 06:34:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        Guido van Rooij <guido@gvr.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: non-transparent IPsec via a tun interface?

I have done similar to this using teh GIF interface.

Each tunnel between sites had a gif interface and I firewalled
for only ESP packets to and from the correct machines on the external
interface, and for correct packets for permitted protocols
and ports on the unencrypted data on the gif interfaces.

Since then I have stoped using th e Gif interfaces and have started
tunnelling using mpd across a udp connection, which in turn is IPSEC
encrypted. Instead of firewalling on the gif inerfaces I now do it on
the ng interface. The reason for using mpd is to use multilink PPP for
the tunnels. I have multiple unnels on differnt ISPS between sites
so that if one ISP gets ill (which happens a bit), the connection
suffers a bandwidth degradation but is still useable.