Date:      Thu, 30 Nov 2000 17:16:52 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        "Kevin G. Eliuk" <kg@dccnet.com>, jamin@eecs.umich.edu, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Here is what IBM thinks about using FreeBSD on their newer Thinkpads

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, Mike Smith wrote:

> > Sugih Jamin wrote:
> >
> > > FreeBSD - Unable to boot OS after installation on
> > >           IBM Thinkpad A20, A21, T20, T21, or X20.
> >
> > Question: Does IBM reserve space on the HDD of their laptops for system BIOS
> > that would cause such a problem in the event of a dedicated installation?
>
> No.  Some fool at IBM (or whomever they contracted the BIOS development
> out to) decided to use partition ID 165 for the suspend-to-disk
> partition,

	There was some discussion being kicked around by reliable sources
recently that the actual problem is that the BIOS decides to blat the
first partition whose type it does not recognize, rather than picking on
165 specifically. This is only slightly less stupid, but probably easier
to fix.

Doug
--
    So what I want to know is, where does the RED brick road go?