Date:      Sat, 16 Jun 2001 05:55:51 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        dev-null@no-id.com
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netscape 4.76 reboots system?

dev-null@no-id.com types:
> Hello
>
> I'm running FreeBSD 4.2-R with XFree86 4.1.0 (newest version for the i815 chipset support) with KDE with Netscape Navigator 4.76.
>
> At random intervals while using X, my system freezes completely and either exits X or reboots the entire system. I've noticed that it happens after I've been surfing with Netscape for a while. At other times the kernel panics.
>
> Am I right in assuming that some bug(s) in Netscape could reboot my system? Or am I looking in the wrong direction?

Netscape is certainly buggy. Unless you're running it as root, it
shouldn't be able to reboot your system. It shouldn't be able to cause
X to exit, either, but that should be addressed by the XFree86 group,
though they may send it back to FreeBSD with more information.

Have you tried doing anything to debug the reboots? Looking for panic
messages? Arranging to get core images of the system? etc?

	<mike