Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 2002 12:32:47 +1100
From:      Michael Ross <satare@optusnet.com.au>
To:        Gary D Kline <kline@thought.org>
Subject:   Re: DHCP and an internal web server

Hey,

>	  I understand that there are hardware solutions that allow
>	  a host to run a web server thu DHCPD, but is there a way
>	  of configuring one of my behind-the-firewall server to
>	  serve pages.

there are two ways actually,

* get in touch with the person managing your dhcp server, supply them with the
mac address of your machines network card and have them reserve a specific IP
for your machine. Then have your dns admin point your domain name to that IP.
This way whenever your machine requests an IP via DHCP it will get the same
one.

* email the admin of your dhcp/dns servers and have them setup dynamic dns
updates. This is a lot more complex then the above suggestion, but it means that
whenever your machine gets a new IP it automatically updates the dns server
with your new IP.

>	  zen.thought.org is an example; i is an older 4.7 system
>	  hardwired as 10.0.0.247.  Is there a way of configuring
>	  things to let http://zen.thought.org serve miscellaneous
>	  essays and references, e.g., for my profs.

the only problem you will hit depends on how willing your dhcp/dns server admins
are to reconfiguring your server. otherwise you should be fine.

=)

Michael Ross
satare@optusnet.com.au