Date:      Tue, 04 Feb 1997 11:00:19 +0200
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        Bob Marsh <bmarsh@hicom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help with IDE CD-ROM

Bob Marsh wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to install FreeBSD, and I could use a little guidance on
> getting the IDE CD-ROM to work.  Here's the system configuration:
>
>        486DX/66 w/32mBytes RAM
>        Dual port EIDE Controller for HDs & CD-ROM
>        C: drive - 420Mb IDE
>        D: drive - 850Mb with two partitions:
>                D: 350Mb Primary DOS
>                E: 500Mb Secondary DOS (for the UNIX Partition)
>        Both HDs are on the first EIDE port
>        Sony CDU55E 2X IDE CD-ROM on 2nd EIDE port configured as "Master"
>        3.5/1.44 Floppy
>        HP/Colorado 250/350Mb Tape Drive
>        Logitech Bus Mouse
>        Trident SVGA adaptor W/SVGA monitor
>        US Robotics Sportster 33.6 Modem on Com 1
>        Windows 95
>
> I managed to partially install BSD (the "bin" and "floppies"
> directories) on the second Hard Drive (the E: logical drive).  It will
> boot, and seems to work (if I can only figure out what to do next)  I'd
> like to complete the installation off the CD, but that's a problem.  the
> kernal recognizes both IDE ports, but doesn't see any device (the
> CD-ROM) on the second port.

What you should probably do is conect the CDROM as the slave on the
primary controller (i.e. swap places with the second hard disk). This
might give you some trouble with what you've already installed, so you
may want to reinstall anyhow.

Once you get the system installed you'll have to give:
1:wd(2,a)/kernel

at the Boot: prompt for it to boot correctly off the second disk
(otherwise it will give you "panic: cannot mount root"). Once you have
the system up and running, rebuild a kernel, making sure you have the
following lines in the configuration file:

config kernel root on wd2   # This is to indicate that it should boot
off the
			    # second disk.
options	ATAPI
device	wcd0

(the last two lines are to enable ATAPI CDROM support). You'll also have
to make the CD device node (as root):
# cd /dev
# ./MAKEDEV wcd0

> I hope I've provided sufficient information.  I'm still trying to figure
> out what's up here.  My experience level with UNIX is "0" (nil).  The
> folks at Walnut creek tried to assist, but were unable to help.
>
> Please get back to me as soon as possible.  I'd like to keep SOME of my
> hair!
>
> Thanks very much
>
> Bob Marsh
Nadav